Tuesday, May 13, 2008

E-mail to Dayspring Church

Last Sunday, a lady attempted to convert me at work. I spent about five minutes explaining to her why I didn't believe, and I do not believe it went well for her. At one point, she informed me that she believed I would one day be able to ignore reason, as if that were a good thing. I'm not exactly sure how admitting the bankruptcy of sensibility your faith enjoys is supposed to entice me.

I also pulled the "What could change your mind gambit." This is done by listing just a few of the things that could change your mind (I keep a 14-digit number in my wallet and offer them the chance to ask god what it is) and then, having established the openness of your mind, ask them what could possibly change theirs. Most are honest enough to say "nothing," which is precisely what the lady said.

Anyway, she left me a card for her church and invited me to attend and talk about Jesus. She said that some of the people there would likely have the answers I craved. So I just sent the following e-mail to Pastor Bill Lyne:
Pastor Lyne,

Hello sir, my name is JT Eberhard. I was working recently when a very sweet woman named Lola Hill passed through and invited me to attend your church and speak about Jesus. I would very much like to do this.

Here is my concern, I have found that when speaking about Jesus with no outside pressure bearing down on us to be reasonable, the conversation tends to be very one-sided with no real interest in reaching a meeting of the minds - even Mrs. Hill admitted to me that she could envision nothing that could change her mind. So what I would like to do is discuss the matter with you, or whomever you feel is best suited to apprise me to the facts of Christianity that would make belief a reasonable stance, in front of either a congregation or a group of appreciable size. I am most certainly open to the idea of god, I simply need something that makes Christianity credible. I have done this type of thing before, having hosted an open forum on faith on my own campus (MSU) this last year.

Would this be feasible?

Thanks.

JT
I'll keep you apprised to how this unfolds. My guess is that the answer will be a resounding "no" - after all, church is not a place Christians go to in order to question what they believe. You never know though.

No comments: