Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Obama + Planned Parenthood = <3

I just read on Feministing that Planned Parenthood has officially endorsed Obama.

Watch their president, Cecile Richards, announce their endorsement, and Obama accept the endorsement... HERE.

I have previously mentioned my affinity for Obama.

I have also mentioned my affinity for Planned Parenthood.

I think it is important that we remember that Planned Parenthood does not only offer abortion procedures.

As a young woman they have given me free condoms, a prescription for affordable oral contraceptives, emergency contraception, and they have tested my partner and I for sexually transmitted diseases at a fraction of the cost of a normal physician.

They, most likely, have saved me from facing an unintended pregnancy. Because of their presence in this community I have never been faced with the decision of abortion.

I am glad to see that they have endorsed Obama. A lot is riding on this election, including the next nomination for the Supreme Court.

McCain has sworn to do everything in his power to overthrow Roe v. Wade. I am glad that Planned Parenthood is speaking out in favor of the better candidate, one who trusts women with their own bodies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also think it's important to note that the Springfield Planned Parenthood doesn't offer abortion services at all. I think that's a travesty, but it's a good point to bring up when discussing with someone the purpose of PP (i.e. total reproductive healthcare, not just abortions).

nisemono3.14 said...

That is a very good point.

As I understand it, there are a lot of Planned Parenthood locations that don't offer abortions.

The Planned Parenthood on Battlefield always seems to be busy when I go in. They aren't handing out abortions, they are helping women get on the pill, giving them cheap STD screenings, or helping them deal with existing STDs.