Saturday, September 13, 2008

Another Post on Plan B

Because I was shocked to read MTSS's Nikol's story on her quest for Plan B (see LA's post below for her thoughts and a link), I feel like I should weigh in on this.

I feel really lucky that we have a Planned Parenthood office in town that is so helpful and so active. I have always known that I can get Plan B there, although before I actually got Plan B I didn't know if they would be mean or if it would be difficult to get. I have a card from Planned Parenthood, that I keep in my wallet with a phone number to call to find the nearest place where Plan B can be purchased if I happen to be out of town and something happens. Every time I see Planned Parenthood around, they have these cards. Very helpful.

Okay, now storytime. I've really had to use Plan B - at least twice. These were all because of condom malfunctions mixed with poor birth control usage. (I had forgotten a pill or two, and then a condom fell off in both instances.)

So the first time it happened was about a year ago. I knew I could go to Planned Parenthood, so I checked their hours and I went as soon as they were open. When I got there, I filled out a tiny slip of paper with my information, they check-marked a box at the top that said "Emergency Contraception", typed a little into the computer, asked me for $35 or so, and handed me a little box that they pulled out of a drawer in the reception area. It took maybe five minutes. The woman talked through the directions with me and that was that.

The second time I needed it, it was exactly the same. The whole transaction took less than five minutes.

Not all people are mean about Plan B, luckily. But I'm appalled that some are.

No comments: